Founded in 1918, Tulsa Boys’ Home began in a two-story house in downtown Tulsa. Leaders of the First Presbyterian Church and the Downtown Rotary Club were instrumental in its establishment. Its first two boys were found sleeping in trash boxes in an alley.
Tulsa Boys' Home grew dramatically during those early years, and by 1924 became a charter member of the Community Fund (the organization that evolved into the Tulsa Area United Way). In 1979, TBH moved to its present location, a 160-acre site in west Tulsa County in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. Always evolving to meet the needs of troubled boys and their families, TBH is now recognized and accredited as a residential treatment facility for boys with emotional, behavioral, and substance abuse problems.
Tulsa Boys' Home was the first and remains the largest residential treatment facility serving troubled boys in Oklahoma. Each year, we deliver residential services to 64 boys (and often their families) on a daily basis. 40 of our boys are placed by the Department of Human Services, and the other 24 are privately placed by parents or legal guardians. Many of these boys learn to lead productive lives, and credit TBH for breaking the cycle of poverty, abuse, and neglect that is often passed on from generation to generation if no help is available.
TBH is a member of Oklahoma Alliance for Family and Children's Services (OKCARE) and is audited by the Child Welfare Division of Oklahoma Department of Human Services at least annually. The Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth also audits Tulsa Boys' Home on a regular basis. These audits review compliance with standards established for residential childcare.
Additionally, Tulsa Boys' Home is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA), headquartered in New York City. COA has awarded TBH at least a 99% compliance rating for meeting the highest standards of professional performance in our field for the last fourteen consecutive years (since 2002). Reaccreditation is undergone every four years.
In 1948, a major fundraiser was established with an annual $100 per plate dinner. It has evolved through the years and continues today as our annual Run for the Roses Kentucky Derby fundraising event, held the first Saturday in May every year. In 1970, the TBH charity Golf Classic was established and also continues as a major TBH fundraising event each year. In 2014 the annual golf tournament was renamed the Frank R. Rhoades Golf Classic, in recognition of Frank Rhoades' longstanding and outstanding chairmanship of the longest-standing charity golf tournament in Tulsa!